sometimes the words I use to express my journey need some decoding, while this blog likely wont decode me completely...I intend to have it scratch the surface atleast. there are simply points in my life I find hard to say, something about loving, trusting, depending on and/or relying on people makes me an eirie kind of weak in the knees and sick in the pit of my stomach.
welcome to the rantings of a jaded soul far too early in life.

Thursday, November 18, 2010

Viewpoints...

I see you there, I know your words are for me, I don't hear them. Your words fall on deaf ears, not of my choosing. Standing here seeing moving lips, I don't read at all well enough to get your point. You scream it out, I see it in your face (red) and body language (the tension). I try not to let on, you'll be angered by my facials, your kind always are. I sign tiny, just out of your frame of vision, if you catch it, you'll think I'm different and wrong. You do catch it, you have a crazy look, that "oh shit, a deaf one" look. I can read that face anywhere. I watch you regroup, looking around trying to figure out how to solve this, you catch sight of someone you know who signs. I watch as you catch their eye and call them over. The first sign you ask them to feed to me is an apology. I am still hurt, but realizing you're not like others, not entirely at least. Maybe your face of oh shit was not about me but about your own behaviors and assumptions. I guess this wont be as bad as I thought, maybe I'll be okay here.

(This is not by any means me saying I know what it is like or choosing to say I am truly reflecting what it is like to be deaf but...I've got some ideas on what I'm trying to say and really just want to put out there the prose I wrote in my Orientation to Deafness Class as I watched a show about being deaf and after several conversations, chapters read, and shows both fictional and nonfiction viewed. )

No comments:

Post a Comment